Flooring Tips & Tricks
Basic Carpet Care: Vaccuming
Since vacuuming is where most people start when maintaining their carpeting, this is where we'll start this series of articles on Roseville Carpet One’s Flooring Maintenance & Cleaning Tips. But it isn't where this article series will end. It just seems like a good place to start. For now, we'll get to the basics of the type of vacuum care is needed to keep your carpeting lovely and lasting for years. To maintain your carpet, Roseville Carpet One suggests the following vacuuming regimen:
- Carpets need to be vacuumed once a week and more often in areas of heavy traffic. Frequent vacuuming prolongs the life of your carpet by preventing a buildup of gritty particles that can cut carpet fibers. Every few weeks, take a little extra time and use your crevice tool for cleaning around baseboards and radiators and in other hard-to-reach places.
- To vacuum wall-to-wall carpeting, divide the floor into quadrants and vacuum an entire quadrant before moving on to the next.
- Take your time when you vacuum a carpet, especially a plush carpet in which dirt is sure to be deeply embedded. One pass with a high-powered upright is not enough. Go over each section of carpeting several times, and work slowly to allow the suction to remove all the ground-in dust and dirt.
- Pay special attention to the areas where people sit and move their feet. Vacuum these areas of heavy traffic with a crisscross pattern of overlapping strokes.
- Soil retardants can be applied to new carpets or to newly cleaned carpets. Follow manufacturers' advice. Apply soil retardants only with professional equipment using the recommended application techniques.
- Add baking soda to the bag in your vacuum to fight odors.
Odors are one thing -- spots and spills are quite another. Spots and spills happen to just about every carpet and can be difficult to remove. The next article in the series will start addressing some of these issues. We'll be offering some pointers for getting rid of stains and other blemishes too. Click here to view more Flooring Tips & Tricks >
Roseville Carpet One is the premier provider of carpet, hardwood floors, vinyl, and other flooring options; providing all major brands of flooring complete with professional installation at affordable prices. Visit our showroom or click to set up a FREE estimate today >